My Friday started out like every other Friday….except this time I decided to spend only 30 minutes on the elliptical (instead of 45) and use those remaining 15 minutes to try the Jillian Michael’s “30 Day Shred” video.  Wow, it was a lot harder than it looked! 

I showered and got the kids dressed and ready for school and out the door.  I had a massage scheduled for 9am, and it sure felt nice.  I told the gal I knew my shoulders, neck and mid/upper back were pretty tight, but that I didn’t want her to focus too much on those areas, just an overall full-body massage was what I was after.  She did work on those areas, not as intensely as they sometimes do, but I could tell I would be in pain later.

Back home, I had a light daycare day.  My neighbor’s daughter came over for the afternoon- Brooke really enjoys playing with her.  The girl is turning 4 this month so she and Brooke are 2 years apart.  Anyway, she was here until 5:45.  We spent most of the afternoon outside and while the kids played, I marked the pavers that needed to be cut.  After work I went to Home Depot to rent a concrete paver saw.  It only took us an hour or so to make all the cuts, then I had to set each stone in place, make sure it’s level with the adjoining stones, etc.   It was getting dark, but I could see well enough with our backyard lighting, and I could feel if there was a height difference, so we decided we’d just keep working.  Jim was working on digging out sprinkler lines and carving grass.  It was probably 8:00 by then, and dark.  Everything was fine….until Jim asked me a question and I looked up at him and his LED headlamp shined right in my eyes.  He was on the other side of the yard, so it wasn’t like a blinding light or anything….in fact I didn’t even notice the light until I looked back down I had one of those blind spots that you get after looking at something bright.  No biggie.  Well, I noticed after a while that the blind spot wasn’t going away, and instead I was getting sparkles in my peripheral vision, and dark spots were appearing.  Oh no.  No. No. No. No.  I am not getting a migraine.  I kept working- had just 10 more minutes of work to do…I finished and volunteered to take the saw back thinking taking my mind off the patio and getting a “break” might help me out.  The whole while driving- saying to myself “I am not getting a migraine”.

By the time I got home I could barely “look” at anything.  I just wanted to close my eyes.  To watch TV hurt my eyes and my head.  I took 2 Advil and climbed straight into bed and closed my eyes and started breathing slowly in and out, relaxxxxxxxx.  Yep.  I had a migraine. 

I did not sleep well that night.  I was uncomfortable, in pain, felt like I could vomit, I was anxious and jittery and every little thing annoyed me- sounds, smells, ugh.  I was hot and cold and sweaty and shakey and just felt awful.   At midnight I got up and took some Tylenol to go along with the Advil, and I don’t think I got any real sleep until 2:30am.  Needless to say, I was exhausted when I woke up at 7:30.

I was up only for a little while before I decided I was in terrible pain- my shoulders and neck and back and I’m sure that was from the massage or the Jillian workout, I didn’t think it could be from the 1 hour of patio work.  Jim suggested I take a muscle relaxer to help relieve the tension.  I still had a headache, although it was no longer a migraine, and I found my old prescription strength Motrin and took one and went back to bed.  It was about 10:15 when I woke up and time to get showered and dressed for the day- Trevor had his first soccer game at noon!

His team lost.  Horribly.  I think the final score was something like 6-1.  The other team just dominated the ball.  They had better ball handling skills, they were faster, they were aggressive.  Trevor’s team is pretty new and they’ve only had two practices so far.  And the weather was something else…..sunny, then cold and rainy and windy and HAIL and then sunny again.  It was awful.  I wasn’t dressed warm enough but had the forethought to bring a blanket with me just in case.  My hands were freezing, I was not having a good morning.

On our way home we stopped at the grocery store and gas station, and then stopped at a housing development to see if we could peek at newly built bedrooms to see what the lighting trends are.  We’re considering adding can lights to our new bedrooms, but aren’t sure if that’s the right direction to take since can lights can really flood a room with light.  Bedrooms are supposed to be softly lit.  We didn’t see anything interesting or new.

Anyway, back at home I still wasn’t 100% so I decided to lay on the couch and ended up sleeping for almost 2 hours.   I got up and got busy cleaning house because we were having some friends over for dinner at 6:00.  It was 5:20!

Jim built a fire in the firepit and we stood around outside (it was dry!) and chatted around the fire and I grilled some burgers and dogs for the 9 of us to eat (they had 2 of their 3 kids with them).  I was relieved when they announced how tired they were and how they needed to leave before 9pm….this meant I could get a good night’s sleep!

Trevor had a friend over to spend the night and I think all six of us were tuckered out and asleep before 9:30.

Sunday morning was typical- reading the Sunday paper over coffee, then making pancakes and bacon for breakfast.  Jim and I planned out the rest of the day- what we needed to accomplish in the yard before the weekend is over and we had quite a list!  We headed out around 11am and kept working until 3:00.  I spent my time sweeping sand, packing the outer edge of the patio and spreading barkdust and re-planting some daffodils and tulips that were dug out a few weeks ago and temporarily thrown in a heap.  I also lay sod.  Homemade sod.  When Jim needed to remove grass to make room for the patio, he scraped up sections of grass so we could re-use them.  I managed to get the whole yard filled in!

Basically, another solid 4 hours of yard labor, non-stop.  Eek.  I should be in pretty good shape come mid-summer!  Ha!

Trevor had soccer practice at 5:00 and the girls and Jim and I spent those 2 hours walking the track.  We figured it would be good exercise and good family time.  We walked a little over 2 miles!  The girls played on the bleachers and had fun racing each other and visiting with other parents and kids there.  Practice ran a little late, which gave us 3 more laps that we weren’t planning on walking.

Back home, finished some house cleaning, and then it was bedtime~!  My legs felt exhausted by bedtime, even on Monday morning they were just tired.  It feels good to be so active and working so hard, and I know it’s good for the body, too.  But boy am I tired!   The good thing is the daycare kids are a little sedentary on Mondays so I just took advantage of that and hung out with them on the couch!