Here are my two favorite recipes when we are in the mood to have breakfast for dinner. Probably because they are the two most time-consuming recipes that I have, therefore we don’t make them often for breakfast. When I’m hungry….I’m hungry!
BABY GERMAN PANCAKES
aka DUTCH BABIES
6 eggs (room temp)
1 cup milk (room temp)
1 cup all purpose flour (sifted)
¼ t. vanilla extract
¼ t. ground cinnamon
5 T. butter
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place oven rack in the middle of the oven and place pie-plate or cast-iron skillet in the oven until hot.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs until light and frothy; add milk, flour, vanilla extract, and cinnamon; beat for 5 minutes more. The batter should be thin, smooth and creamy.
- Remove hot plates from oven and add the butter, coat the skillet. Pour the batter into the skillet quickly and immediately return to the oven.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until puffed up and golden brown. Remove from oven and serve immediately. Top with melted butter, lemon juice and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Glass pie plates have the best results. Recipe makes 4 pie plates.
8 large eggs
2 1/2 cups milk
3 cups bread cubes
1 tsp dry mustard
2 lb sausage (bacon/both)
1 lb grated cheddar
1/2 lb fresh mushrooms
- Brown the sausage, drain off excess fat. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs. Add milk, mustard, and bread cubes and salt to taste. Wait a few minutes for the bread cubes to absorb the milk and eggs. Stir in 80% of the grated cheese.
- Add the cooked and drained sausage. Mix well. Pour into a 9×13 casserole dish. Top with sliced mushrooms and remaining cheese.
- Bake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees. Let cool 10 minutes before serving.
You can cut up your own bread for the bread cubes, or else buy a package of croutons or stuffing. You can also add potatoes!